Tuesday, August 7, 2007

books

KIRA, KATE, JENNY, and KEVIN sit in the tech office passing time till the lunch delivery gets here. JENNY has given her seat to KIRA in hopes that the latter will spill less food than usual. Jenny is now sitting on an upturned milk crate. KEVIN types on the computer not paying attention to the proceedings.


KATE

Oh my god, I'm so excited for this class now that I've read Atonement


KIRA

Yeah I loved that book


JENNY

I couldn't get past the first part


KIRA

See you just need to get past those first 80 pages, the rest of it is great. I'm really into Tender is the Night but it's a bit of a slog


KATE

Who's wrote that?


KIRA

Fitzgerald. Have you read The Great Gatsby yet?


Both respond at the same time, Kate with exuberance Jenny with ennui.


KATE

Oh my god, I loved it


JENNY

-meh- I didn't like it


KIRA and KATE in unison, in voices that sound more like gasps of horror


KIRA/KATE

What??


JENNY

Well, I thought the plot was boring and predictable, and I didn't like the characters




KIRA

Well, you suck


Jenny makes a noise of annoyance, Kate gives a surprised giggle


KEVIN

That's the best you could come up with? "You suck"?


KIRA

I thought you weren't listening because we were talking about books

4 comments:

t.k.foster said...

I'm probably a total dork for loving The Great Gatsby, but it was my all time favorite book I read in high school.

I love how you just said, "you suck." And people say there's no honesty in the world!

Kira said...

I am totally with you. I loved The Great Gatsby, it is one of those pivotal books for me.

You should read Tender is the Night, it's freaking amazing. So much on love, the differences between the sexes, friendships, and self destruction

Sara said...

I LOVE your blog and your self portraits. They are beautiful!

Kira said...

Thank you Sara love

xoxoo